Does HCG work for everyone?
Although HCG is naturally produced only in pregnant women, as a diet aid it works the same for men and women. Most people on this program report losing between 0.5 to 1 pound per day, and claim it is the only program where they have been able to keep the weight off afterward. However, as with any drug or medication, or even with food (e.g., allergies), there is individual variation in its efficacy!
What is HCG?
The HCG diet was developed by Dr. ATW Simeons in Rome Italy during the mid 1900’s. The program utilizes a natural hormone that is produced during pregnancy called Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) Dr. Simeons’ theory is that HCG causes the hypothalamus area of the brain to trigger a release of abnormal fat stores. When administered in relatively small doses and coupled with a very low calorie diet, people routinely lose 20 pounds in 30 days. HCG has helped thousands of people lose those stubborn pounds. In addition to weight loss, many patients who have completed the HCG program also experienced many other health benefits, including a drop in cholesterol, blood pressure and blood sugar.
What is the Hypothalamus?
The hypothalamus is a part of the diencephalon area of our brain. This is the vital part of the brain which controls all of the autonomic functions of the body, including breathing, heart beat, digestion, sleep and the complex functions of the endocrine system. One of the many functions of the endocrine system is regulation and control of your metabolism and weights.
How does HCG help me lose weight?
HCG appears to act on the hypothalamus, signaling the body to release stored fat into the bloodstream where it is then available to be used by the cells for nourishment. This alone will not cause weight loss, though, unless you reduce your food intake. This forces the body to use the mobilized fat from the bloodstream. HCG causes the release of abnormal fat without affecting structural fat and muscle tissue. This means you lose in those stubborn areas–hips, thighs, buttocks and upper arms.
Do I have to follow a special diet while I take HCG?
Yes. You must follow the entire HCG Diet Protocol as described in Dr. Simeons’ manuscript, “Pounds and Inches: A New Approach to Obesity”, where he outlines a special 500-calorie-per-day diet(plus unlimited vegtables) that was tested on thousands of patients. HCG is only effective for weight loss if it is taken while strictly following Dr. Simeons’ HCG Diet Protocol, including the 500 calorie diet. Taking HCG alone (without the diet) will not cause you to lose weight. HCG takes effect when you reduce your food intake so that the mobilized fat will be used for your body’s energy needs. If you fail to follow the diet you will fail to lose weight. If you only follow the diet without taking HCG, you are simply starving yourself because there is no fat in the bloodstream to burn. Simply put, both are required.
What food is allowed to eat?
The HCG diet is balanced, unlike many extreme “fad” diets out there. It consists of a healthy variety of protein, vegetables and fruit, with a small amount of starch. You eat them in specific portions and combinations as outlined by Dr. Simeons. Allowed proteins are veal (low grade), beef (95% lean whole cuts), chicken breast (boneless, skinless), crab, crayfish, lobster, shrimp, and any fresh, white-fleshed fish. Allowed vegetables are asparagus, beet greens, cabbage, celery, chard, chicory greens, cucumber, fennel, green salad, onion, red radishes, spinach, and tomato. Allowed fruits are apples, strawberries, oranges, and grapefruit. Limited starches include grissini (breadstick) or Melba toast. Vegetarian protein substitutions (may slow weight loss) are a protein shake, soy patty, egg (1 whole + 3 egg whites), cottage cheese or fat-free milk.
Why can’t I just go on a 500 calorie diet without the HCG?
In order to answer this question you need to understand how the body stores and uses fat. Dr. Simeons identified three separate fat stores:
1. Normal fat: This type of fat can be likened to a checking account from which the body can easily draw energy or deposit it as needed. Normal fat doesn’t take a lot of effort to lose.
2. Structural fat: Pads the various organs, protects the arteries and cushions the bony prominences. You don’t ever want to lose this fat. It is vital to your health and well being. Yet, on the typical “starvation” diet, this is the fat you lose when the normal fat is depleted.
3. Abnormal fat: This is much like a bank safe deposit box, where fat is stored and basically locked away. This fat is very difficult to lose via exercise and calorie restriction, but with the help of HCG the body readily pulls fat from these “last resort” fat stores.
Bottom line: If you go on a 500-calorie diet without HCG, the body uses the normal fat and then starts to use the structural fat and muscle. Losing your structural fat and muscle tissue can adversely affect your health and well-being. In addition, “starvation” diets without HCG can cause you to be excessively hungry, which is typically not true for those using HCG injections on Dr. Simeons’ special 500-calorie schedule. This is not just a VLCD (very-low-calorie-diet). See next question.
Will I be hungry on the HCG diet?
On HCG, the vast majority of our customers indicate they were either not hungry (unlike other diets where they were starving), or they felt in control and surprisingly little hunger and had plenty of energy. That aligns perfectly with Dr. Simeons’ theories about the fat-releasing properties of HCG; in essence, HCG is helping you get the majority of energy and calories from stored fat instead of only food in your stomach. Everyone is different — and some report mild hunger in the first week as their body adjusts — but it has become very clear that the Healthy HCG diet plan is something very special, something out of the ordinary. It is most definitely NOT just a “500-calorie diet”. In addition, the HCG diet starts with a “gorging” phase, which helps load the body with calories to use during transition into the low-calorie phase. People who faithfully follow the protocol as outlined by Dr. Simeons in our materials, and stick to it will see fantastic results. If you are a candidate, the physician will also prescribe an additional appetite suppresant such as phentermine to help out with the hunger and craving.
Do I have to exercise while on the HCG diet?
No. Exercise is not a mandatory part of the program. While vigorous exercise may increase the amount of weight you lose while on this plan, it is not a significant increase and is not recommended, because on a 500 calorie diet you can easily become too exhausted. That leads to discouragement and frustration. However, we do recommend moderate activity for all of the other benefits you receive, including stress relief and cardiovascular health. If you are already accustomed to exercising at a certain level and would like to continue, do so, but do not over do it. Pay attention to your body’s response. Scale down the intensity of the workouts if: (1) you don’t have the energy to get through it; (2) you start feeling ill or light headed; (3) you gain weight the next day; or (4) you don’t have the energy to get through the day after you work out. Our suggestion for those who want to exercise is that you walk for 20 to 30 minutes daily. Walking is great exercise and contributes to your health in a variety of ways. It helps relieve stress, keeps the bowels moving, conditions your cardiovascular system, and encourages better blood/oxygen circulation. When you are finished with the HCG diet regimen and are back on a regular diet you can then pick up the intensity of your exercise routines.
HCG is approved by FDA as a prescription drug for the treatment of female infertility, and other medical conditions. It is not approved for weight loss. In fact, the prescription drug label notes there “is no substantial evidence that it increases weight loss beyond that resulting from caloric restriction, that it causes a more attractive or ‘normal’ distribution of fat, or that it decreases the hunger and discomfort associated with calorie-restricted diets.”
Benefits of HCG
- The HCG Diet works quickly – results are almost instant. It is so gratifying to step on the scale and see your weight decline daily!
- It is healthy – no pre-packaged foods, full of chemicals and preservatives. This diet recommends whole, organic foods.
- It is easy – the recipes are fast and easy to make, and taste good.
- You won’t be hungry – the HCG suppresses your appetite, so that you are physically comfortable during your weight loss.
- You won’t be tired – the HCG helps your body burn so much fat, that your metabolism doesn’t slow down, so you have plenty of energy to keep functioning in your busy life!
- It doesn’t require intensive exercise – exercise is important for our overall health, but it is a hard way to lose weight.
- No rebound weight gain – most patients keep the weight off after the diet is over.
- It is effective for almost everyone – if a person follows the recommendations, they are almost certain to lose weight. No diet has such a high success rate.
- HCG helps you lose fat where you need it most – for example the hips, thighs, and abdomen. Your face won’t look emaciated after this diet.
- The weight loss you will experience on the HCG diet is a huge factor for enhancing optimal health – decreasing your risk for many long-term health problems such as diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and cancer.
- It changes your lifestyle – after you get used to eating in a healthy way on the HCG diet, you are more likely to maintain it after the diet is over.